Culture
Nintendo Releases New "Switch" Game Console
(Drew Angerer/Getty Images)

Nintendo’s squeezing one last holiday out of the Switch as sales plunge

Sales are getting blue-shelled without a fresh console.

The Nintendo Switch, heading into its eighth holiday season, is selling like whatever the opposite of hot cakes are. The consoles sales fell 31% from last year in the video-game-makers latest report.

Nintendo said its net profit over the past six months sank 60% from last year. It also slashed its Switch sales expectations and now expects to sell 12.5 million of the consoles by the end of March — 1 million less than it previously estimated. Nintendos revenue slumped 17% from last year and its net profit dropped 69%.

Slowing sales will probably throw a wrench in the Japanese game-makers lofty goal of selling a Switch to every individual (not just every household). As of September, its sold 146 million Switches since its 2017 debut — good enough to be the third-best-selling console of all time (behind Sonys PlayStation 2 and Nintendos own DS).

Nintendo Switch sales are down

Despite all of this, Nintendo is still not planning on announcing the Switch 2 earlier than its already said it will: at some point before or around the end of March 2025. One analyst told Reuters that making an announcement in the middle of the critical holiday shopping season could cause problems for the Mario maker.

Still, the lack of announcement is becoming a bit confounding for a company that first said its Switch 2 announcement was on the way back in May.

Since that time, Nintendo has released an alarm clock and a music app. Other non-Switch 2 revenue streams include future films based on Mario and The Legend of Zelda, and the planned 2025 opening of Orlandos Super Nintendo World within a new area at the Universal theme park.

More Culture

See all Culture
culture

Netflix is staffing up an apparent AI animation studio called INKubator

According to several public job listings, streaming giant Netflix appears to be building a GenAI animation studio called INKubator.

First reported by journalist Janko Roettgers in the Lowpass newsletter, INKubator seems to have launched in March and aims to “develop feature-quality content in a creator-led environment.”

As Lowpass reports, INKubator appears focused on AI-generated short-form animation, but listings imply ambitions toward longer-form content. Netflix didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

INKubator wouldn’t be Netflix’s first foray into AI. Back in March, it acquired Ben Affleck’s AI filmmaking startup InterPositive — which trains on individual films’ already-shot footage — for as much as $600 million depending on certain targets.

Netflix’s potential future AI-generated animations could be served to an increasingly ad-packed streaming service. At Netflix’s Upfront presentation on Wednesday, the company said its ad-supported tier has now reached 250 million subscribers globally, up 31% from November.

As Lowpass reports, INKubator appears focused on AI-generated short-form animation, but listings imply ambitions toward longer-form content. Netflix didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

INKubator wouldn’t be Netflix’s first foray into AI. Back in March, it acquired Ben Affleck’s AI filmmaking startup InterPositive — which trains on individual films’ already-shot footage — for as much as $600 million depending on certain targets.

Netflix’s potential future AI-generated animations could be served to an increasingly ad-packed streaming service. At Netflix’s Upfront presentation on Wednesday, the company said its ad-supported tier has now reached 250 million subscribers globally, up 31% from November.

culture
Saleah Blancaflor

Netflix confirms a “KPop Demon Hunters” world concert tour is on the way

Netflix has a “Golden” mine and it's digging deeper.

At its fourth annual TV Upfront presentation on Wednesday, Netflix President of Advertising Amy Reinhard announced a partnership with AEG Presents to create a “KPop Demon Hunters” world tour that will bring the phenomenon to life.

In March, Bloomberg previously reported Netflix was planning a global world tour sometime next year ahead of the sequel in arenas that would hold 10,000 to 20,000 fans, though the news had not been confirmed by the company nor had a partner been in place at the time. 

“KPop Demon Hunters” is Netflix’s most watched film of all time, racking up 481.6 million views globally during the second half of 2025. Since its release, the HUNTR/X trio of Ejae, Audrey Nuna, and Rei Ami has appeared and performed at several major events including late-night talk shows, award ceremonies, and most recently at Coachella, where they were a surprise guest for Katseye. It hasn’t been confirmed whether the trio will be on the tour.

The announcement of the tour comes after Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos shared in a recent blog post that the company spent $135 billion on licensing and original film and TV over the last 10 years.

This year, Netflix has a projected content spend of $20 billion, up 10% year over year, while its annual revenue forecast is between $50.7 billion and $51.7 billion. The streaming giant has brought in more than $46 billion in profit over the past decade.

Netflix said more details around cities and tickets for the concert tour are expected to come out later this year.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC and Chartr Limited produce fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and are fully owned subsidiaries of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, Robinhood Money, LLC, Robinhood U.K. Ltd, Robinhood Derivatives, LLC, Robinhood Gold, LLC, Robinhood Asset Management, LLC, Robinhood Credit, Inc., Robinhood Ventures DE, LLC and, where applicable, its managed investment vehicles.