Business
Skydance Officially Closes Deal To Merge With Paramount
(Eric Thayer/Getty Images)

Paramount Skydance says its DTC streaming biz will be profitable this year

The studio reported its third-quarter earnings on Monday, the first since the Skydance takeover, and now sees $3 billion in cost savings (up from $2 billion).

Paramount Skydance, the product of an $8 billion merger that closed in August, reported third-quarter earnings results on Monday.

Shares climbed in after-hours trading — gains that the stock has held onto into Tuesday morning, with the stock up 5% as of 7:26 a.m. ET. — as the company said it expects its direct-to-consumer streaming business to achieve full-year profitability this year. It said the business, which it calls its top priority, will grow in profitability next year.

The company also said that it now expects annual opex savings from the merger of $3 billion a year, up from previous estimates for $2 billion of cost savings.

Paramount+ ended the quarter with 79.1 million subscribers, better than Wall Street expected and reflecting a 1.4 million subscriber bump from Q2.

Streaming revenue climbed to $2.17 billion, exceeding expectations and up about 17% from the same period last year. Most of that growth came from a 24% jump in Paramount+ revenue. Revenue for the network’s TV business fell 12% from last year to $3.8 billion, driven by a decline in advertising.

The combined company posted adjusted earnings per share of $0.12 in the August 7 through September period (after the merger between Paramount and Skydance closed). For the part of the quarter before the transaction closed, the company posted an adjusted loss of $0.24.

The studio has placed itself at the center of controversy and consolidation in recent months. In July, it announced it would end “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (and the broader “Late Show” franchise) in May 2026. Many suspected the move to be politically motivated, with the goal of appeasing the Trump administration, since the company highlighted the show as a “#1” in its second-quarter earnings. In August, Paramount announced a $7.7 billion deal with TKO for the streaming rights to UFC. More recently, the company has reportedly made at least three offers to buy rival Warner Bros. Discovery, all of which were rejected.

Paramount isn’t the only entertainment player interested in WBD, though. Warner CEO David Zaslav met with Comcast executives last week. Both Comcast and Netflix have reportedly hired banks to explore a bid for the HBO parent in recent weeks.

More Business

See all Business
business

Sony is reportedly considering pushing the PlayStation 6 to 2028 or 2029 as AI RAM demand squeezes consumer electronics

AI’s ongoing need for more memory chips, which some are referring to as “RAMmageddon,” is reportedly shifting Sony’s plans for its next PlayStation console.

According to reporting by Bloomberg, the company is weighing a delay of the PS6 to 2028 or 2029 — a pivot from the company’s typical six- to seven-year console life cycle.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Robot illustration

Video game experts say Google’s Project Genie isn’t an industry killer. Investors don’t seem convinced.

Analysts and company execs are trying to dispel fears around AI’s impact on gaming, but Wall Street is still wary.

LA Auto Show

Rivian just had its best day ever on the stock market, after more than 4 years of pain

The EV maker’s software division helped power a strong Q4, as industry giants pump the brakes on their electric ambitions.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.