Markets
Year End
Too soon? (Photo by Bryan R. Smith/AFP via Getty Images)

Maybe this year is already over

Defensive tilt of trading suggests some investors are trying to hang on to gains.

Since taking a 10% header in early August, the market recouped much of its gains, even aside from Tuesday’s slump for the S&P 500.

But astute observers have noted the tentative tone of traders as we head toward 2024’s home stretch.

Goldman Sachs analysts pointed out this week that so-called safe haven assets — investments like US government bonds, the Japanese yen, and the Swiss franc, where cash is often stashed for safe-keeping rather than for returns — have been outperforming riskier investments like stocks since mid-July.

And even within the US stock market itself, defensive shares, essentially companies that have proven they can do better than most during periods of economic weakness, have been outpacing the market since the S&P 500 peaked.

Surveying the next few months, there are solid reasons one might try to lock in this year’s respectable ~17% gains right now.

For one thing, as Luke wrote last week, there still seem to be some jitters about the economy out there.

And it’s hard to argue that stocks look like an especially good bargain with forward price-to-earnings ratios at 21, near some of the highest levels we’ve seen in the last 30 years.

Meanwhile, the presidential election stands to get noisier until November, adding a level of uncertainty — especially around potential changes to the American corporate and personal tax regime over the next few years — that won’t be resolved until the votes are counted.

Yes, there are Fed rate cuts clearly coming. But that’s all been priced in and then some. Pricing derived from the Fed funds futures market now expects a full percentage point of cuts between now and year-end, according to data from the CME’s FedWatch tool.

Those expectations could be frustrated if the economy continues to chug along at a 3% growth rate as it did in Q2, and the job market holds up.

That could be a headwind for the market — or not. Stocks did well in the first quarter even as traders curbed their expectations for rate cuts in the face of solid economic data. Of course, that reached a brief breaking point in April, as a string of hot inflation reports caused traders to question if any easing at all would be delivered in the near term.

Of course, nobody knows where the markets are going. And as Yiwen just pointed out, we could simply be at the onset of a typical September slump. But the safety-first tone of trading seems worth keeping an eye on.

More Markets

See all Markets
markets

Lucid cuts 12% of its US workforce in a profitability push

EV maker Lucid announced on Friday it is laying off 12% of its US workforce as part of its efforts to improve profitability.

This is Lucid’s third round of layoffs since March 2023. At the end of 2024, the company said it had 6,800 employees globally.

“This difficult but necessary decision was made to improve operational effectiveness and optimize our resources as we continue on our path toward profitability,” interim CEO Marc Winterhoff told employees in an email published by Business Insider. The company has been without a permanent CEO since February 2025.

Lucid has worked to boost its cash reserves in recent months. Late last year it announced plans to raise $875 million through a private offering of convertible senior notes due in 2031.

“This difficult but necessary decision was made to improve operational effectiveness and optimize our resources as we continue on our path toward profitability,” interim CEO Marc Winterhoff told employees in an email published by Business Insider. The company has been without a permanent CEO since February 2025.

Lucid has worked to boost its cash reserves in recent months. Late last year it announced plans to raise $875 million through a private offering of convertible senior notes due in 2031.

markets

The Supreme Court’s tariff ruling isn’t sweeping relief for automakers, but it isn’t nothing either

The Supreme Court on Friday struck down a significant chunk of President Trump’s tariffs, but the decision isn’t a cause for automakers to fully exhale.

Friday’s ruling relates to tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and not Section 232. The 25% tariffs on automobiles and auto parts were imposed under Section 232, so those tariffs remain in place.

Still, it’s worth noting that automakers including Ford, GM, and Stellantis aren’t completely on the outside looking in. IEEPA tariffs did cover certain machinery, lower-cost raw materials, and components, which account for a small chunk of automaker production costs.

According to the Center for Automotive Research, IEEPA tariffs account for about $250 per vehicle for the big three Detroit automakers, or $902 million in costs. That’s a far cry from the Section 232 tariff impact of $4,240 per vehicle, per the think tank, but it’s not nothing.

The modest bump in auto stocks compared to retailers on Friday reflects the light relief.

Still, it’s worth noting that automakers including Ford, GM, and Stellantis aren’t completely on the outside looking in. IEEPA tariffs did cover certain machinery, lower-cost raw materials, and components, which account for a small chunk of automaker production costs.

According to the Center for Automotive Research, IEEPA tariffs account for about $250 per vehicle for the big three Detroit automakers, or $902 million in costs. That’s a far cry from the Section 232 tariff impact of $4,240 per vehicle, per the think tank, but it’s not nothing.

The modest bump in auto stocks compared to retailers on Friday reflects the light relief.

markets

Nvidia nears $30 billion investment in OpenAI’s funding round, the FT reports

Nvidia is close to investing $30 billion in OpenAI as part of its long-discussed funding round, per the Financial Times.

Bloomberg had previously reported that Nvidia would be investing $20 billion in this round.

The FT says that this investment will effectively be replacing a bigger planned pact between the two companies. The Wall Street Journal had originally reported in late January that Nvidia’s investment of up to $100 billion in OpenAI, which was announced in September, had “stalled” amid private criticisms of the ChatGPT maker by CEO Jensen Huang.

As Microsoft, SoftBank, or Oracle could tell you, being viewed as overly exposed to OpenAI has not been a boon for stocks in recent months.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.