Business
US-TECHNOLOGY-INTERNET-GAMES-GTA
(Chris Delmas/Getty Images)
WASTED

Gaming savior “GTA 6” just got pushed back to next year, sending Take-Two stock plunging

“Grand Theft Auto VI” was set to be the biggest release of 2025, driving overall console sales.

Max Knoblauch

Fans will have to wait a little longer to play the biggest game of the decade.

Take-Two Interactive on Friday morning announced that it’s delaying the release of “Grand Theft Auto VI — a game expected to break $1 billion in preorder sales alone — from fall 2025 to May 26, 2026.

Take-Two shares were down 8% in early trading as investors adjusted to the news. When the company last reported earnings in February, it said it was on track for a fall release — sending its shares surging. Sony, which along with rival Xbox was expected to get a console sales boost this fall from the title, was also down in early trading Friday.

Some researchers have forecast $3.2 billion sales for GTA 6 in its first year — a figure that would roughly double 2024’s top box office performer.

We need this extra time to deliver at the level of quality you expect and deserve, Take-Two’s label, Rockstar, said in a statement.

Expect competitor gaming studios to start rapidly announcing fall release dates; many were delaying or holding off on setting official dates in the chance they became overshadowed by the massive game.

More Business

See all Business
Man's Brain Powerplant

The idiot’s guide to AI jargon

Don’t like politics at the Thanksgiving table? Here’s some performative AI jargon for you to weaponize so you can win the day.

business

Ford dips as another large fire breaks out at the New York Novelis aluminum plant

Shares of US auto giant Ford are down more than 2% on Thursday morning following reports of another major fire at its primary aluminum supplier’s plant in Oswego County, New York.

Local media reported that a four-alarm fire broke out at the Novelis plant, which supplies 40% of the aluminum sheet for the US auto industry, on Thursday morning.

Last month, Ford said a September fire at the plant would hit its earnings by between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in the fourth quarter. The company said it would be able to mitigate about $1 billion of that next year.

As of 10:15 a.m. ET, local officials said the fire is under control and everyone had been safely evacuated. Novelis previously said it would be able to restart operations at the part of the plant most damaged by the September fire next month.

Last month, Ford said a September fire at the plant would hit its earnings by between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in the fourth quarter. The company said it would be able to mitigate about $1 billion of that next year.

As of 10:15 a.m. ET, local officials said the fire is under control and everyone had been safely evacuated. Novelis previously said it would be able to restart operations at the part of the plant most damaged by the September fire next month.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.