Business
Rolling
Roll-ups

Private equity and the US government are on a collision course

The US government continues to scrutinize a favorite tactic of the private equity industry — so-called roll-ups, or serial acquisitions — to determine if such M&A binges harmfully eliminate competition and violate antitrust laws.

On Thursday the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission launched a joint inquiry seeking information consumers, workers, businesses, trade groups, academics and elected officials, about mergers in which a company snags several smaller entities in the same or related industries.

Such strings of mergers have have long been a preferred technique of private equity firms that have quietly reshaped the American economy in recent decades.

Best known for its titans like Apollo Group, KKR & Co. and Carlyle Group, private equity emerged in the 1980s amid a boom in “leveraged buyouts,” which used large amounts of debt to purchase companies and take them private. Perhaps the best example of a roll-up strategy in action was the emergence in the 1970s and 1980s of Waste Management, a trash hauling giant created by the purchase of scores of small trash collection firms. The head of Waste Management, Wayne Huizenga, later applied a similar approach to create Blockbuster Video in the 1990s.

Today private equity is a massive player in the US economy. According to the American Investment Council, the industry’s trade group, the sector employed some 12 million people in 2022, and accounted for $1.7 trillion in economic activity, about 7% of GDP.

“The freedom to build businesses has been an essential component of a strong American economy for centuries. The ongoing attacks against buy and build will make it harder for entrepreneurs across our country to achieve the American dream, create jobs, and provide opportunities in their communities for workers and families," Drew Maloney, president and chief executive of American Investment Council, the private equity trade group, told Sherwood News.

One of the ways private equity firms got so big was by using roll-ups to create consolidated firms in previously fragmented markets. They simply purchased several smaller companies in the same industry, creating a market leader in the process. Because the individual companies that were purchased were often relatively small, for years many of these deals did not receive the same level of pre-merger scrutiny from regulators that multibillion-dollar blockbuster acquisitions did.

But under the Biden administration, that’s changed. Antitrust regulators at both the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission have spotlighted the potential that private equity has created giants that dominate key industries, giving them too much power to raise prices and keep workers’ wages down, among other things.

Late last year, the DoJ and the FTC released new guidelines for mergers that stipulated that “a firm that engages in an anticompetitive pattern or strategy of multiple acquisitions in the same or related business lines may violate” the Clayton Antitrust Act.

Late last year, the FTC sued a Texas private equity company alleging a years-long scheme to quietly build an anticompetitive giant by gobbling up anesthesia practices in Texas markets. (A judge recently dismissed charges against the private equity company itself, which had created the Texas-sized anesthetic giant, but only owns a minority interest in the firm today. But the company itself that the private equity company created, US Anesthesia Partners, still faces the antitrust case.)

While private equity’s interest in health care has attracted particular attention from regulators, the new request for information on roll-ups suggests they are going to be looking more broadly at this practice, something key officials such as Lina Khan, head of the FTC, have said publicly for a while.

“We can look at businesses across the US economy and how they're structured and what their particular business model is can vary,” Khan said on Bloomberg’s Odd Lots podcast last November, after filing the Texas anesthesia case. “We've been particularly focused on healthcare markets, but especially after we filed this lawsuit, we've been hearing from market participants across sectors about additional areas where they believe that we should be scrutinizing, be it in healthcare or elsewhere.”

More Business

See all Business
business

Microsoft makes dramatic shake-up to its gaming division as gaming CEO Phil Spencer and Xbox President Sarah Bond depart

Microsoft’s gaming division underwent a major shake-up on Friday, as the tech giant announced the departure of gaming CEO Phil Spencer, who led the division for 12 years and championed its Game Pass subscription service.

Xbox President Sarah Bond is also out, according to Spencer’s memo to employees.

Xbox has fallen significantly behind rivals Sony and Nintendo in recent years. Microsoft raised Xbox console prices twice last year and bumped subscription fees up 50%. In November, the console was even outsold (in unit sales) by the motion-controlled Nex Playground console.

The pair have overseen a shift at Xbox from standard consoles to an array of consoles, handhelds, and various devices and screens accessed via cloud gaming.

Spencer’s replacement as the head of gaming is Microsoft’s president of CoreAI product, Asha Sharma. In a memo to staff, Sharma made three commitments: great games, the “return of Xbox,” and to “invent new business models and new ways to play.”

Xbox has fallen significantly behind rivals Sony and Nintendo in recent years. Microsoft raised Xbox console prices twice last year and bumped subscription fees up 50%. In November, the console was even outsold (in unit sales) by the motion-controlled Nex Playground console.

The pair have overseen a shift at Xbox from standard consoles to an array of consoles, handhelds, and various devices and screens accessed via cloud gaming.

Spencer’s replacement as the head of gaming is Microsoft’s president of CoreAI product, Asha Sharma. In a memo to staff, Sharma made three commitments: great games, the “return of Xbox,” and to “invent new business models and new ways to play.”

business

Judge rejects Tesla’s attempt to overturn $243 million verdict over fatal 2019 autopilot crash

Tesla’s effort to appeal a $243 million jury verdict related to a fatal 2019 crash that occurred when a Tesla vehicle was in self-driving mode was rejected by a federal judge in a ruling made public on Friday.

Tesla is expected to appeal the decision to a higher court.

The case was the first federal lawsuit surrounding an autopilot death to go to a jury trial for Tesla. In August, a jury found the automaker 33% responsible for the 2019 crash. The jury determined that Tesla was partly to blame for enabling the driver to take his eyes off the road, and the company was ordered to pay an additional $200 million in punitive damages.

Tesla reportedly turned down a $60 million settlement offer prior to the trial. According to Electrek, dozens of similar cases involving the EV maker are working through the court system.

This month, Tesla stopped using the term “autopilot” in its marketing in order to avoid a sales ban in California. Tesla appears to have replaced the term with “Traffic Aware Cruise Control” and added “supervised” to its mentions of Full Self-Driving tech.

The case was the first federal lawsuit surrounding an autopilot death to go to a jury trial for Tesla. In August, a jury found the automaker 33% responsible for the 2019 crash. The jury determined that Tesla was partly to blame for enabling the driver to take his eyes off the road, and the company was ordered to pay an additional $200 million in punitive damages.

Tesla reportedly turned down a $60 million settlement offer prior to the trial. According to Electrek, dozens of similar cases involving the EV maker are working through the court system.

This month, Tesla stopped using the term “autopilot” in its marketing in order to avoid a sales ban in California. Tesla appears to have replaced the term with “Traffic Aware Cruise Control” and added “supervised” to its mentions of Full Self-Driving tech.

business

Sony is reportedly considering pushing the PlayStation 6 to 2028 or 2029 as AI RAM demand squeezes consumer electronics

AI’s ongoing need for more memory chips, which some are referring to as “RAMmageddon,” is reportedly shifting Sony’s plans for its next PlayStation console.

According to reporting by Bloomberg, the company is weighing a delay of the PS6 to 2028 or 2029 — a pivot from the company’s typical six- to seven-year console life cycle.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.