Markets
The East Side of the US Capitol Building in the early morning, Washington DC, USA.
The east side of the US Capitol Building (Getty Images)

Group of House Republicans defy leadership and join Democrats to force ACA vote

The subsidies are still likely to end before the deadline.

A group of moderate House Republicans defied House Speaker Mike Johnson on Wednesday and signed off on a measure that would force a vote on extending Affordable Care Act tax credits.

The revolt came after Johnson blocked a vote on the ACA subsidies on Tuesday. The credits are set to expire on December 31 just as insurance premiums are expected to skyrocket in 2026, creating a political liability for lawmakers up for election in the midterms next year.

“It is political malpractice,” Rep. Mike Lawler, one of the four Republican lawmakers who joined Democrats to force a vote, told Politico on Tuesday in reference to Johnson blocking the vote.

The subsidies are still likely to end before the deadline. The move gives House leadership seven working days to bring it up for a vote. The tax credits are set to expire at year’s end, the House is not in session next week, and lawmakers do not return to Washington until January 6.

Last week, the US Senate rejected two dueling proposals that would have either extended the tax credits or replaced them with federally funded tax-advantaged health savings accounts.

The market-implied odds of the subsides being extended before 2026 is less than 3%, data from Kalshi shows, though traders now peg the odds of an extension before February 2026 at 24%.

The ACA tax credits, which subsidize health insurance plans provided by private insurers, were part of a 2021 COVID-19 relief package passed by a Democratic-controlled Congress.

The subsidies led to a boom in ACA enrollment, with some of the biggest providers of ACA Marketplace plans being companies like Oscar Health, UnitedHealth, Molina Healthcare, and Centene.

More Markets

See all Markets
markets

Roblox jumps after announcing $3 billion share buyback plan

Roblox rallied in postmarket trading on Tuesday after unveiling its first-ever share repurchase program.

The somewhat controversial, but certainly popular, gaming company has put forth a plan for $3 billion in future stock buybacks, with the intention to back up to $1 billion over the next twelve months. The stock subsequently jumped 4% after-hours.

On Tuesday, Naveen Chopra, Chief Financial Officer of Roblox said:

“Investing in continued growth will always be our highest priority, but the strength of our balance sheet and free cash flow generation allows us to support industry leading innovation while simultaneously reducing dilution.”

As of Q1 2026, Roblox had $6.2 billion in total cash, cash equivalents, and investments (for a net $5.2 billion after subtracting their $1.0 billion dollars in debt). The company posted a consolidated net loss of $248 million in Q1.

While management has the cash on hand for a $3 billion buyback, their stock been taking hits recently — falling 28% over the past month (and 45% since the beginning of the year) as the company adjusts its safety standards. In April, the video game company slashed its full year guidance due to age-verification hurdles which have slowed growth.

markets

Cava rallies after Q1 results impress and management hikes full-year guidance

Cava jumped 8% after the bell on Tuesday after the fast-casual Mediterranean restaurant chain was able to bring in more customers and drive up more revenue than expected in the first quarter, with management signaling that this momentum is poised to continue.

Here are the numbers:

  • Q1 revenue of $434.4 million (compared to analyst estimates of $418.2 million).

  • Q1 adjusted EBITDA of $61.7 million (estimate: $57.3 million).

  • Full-year guidance for same-restaurant sales growth of 4.5% to 6.5%, up from its prior guidance of 3% to 5% and above estimates for 4.95%.

The company also posted traffic growth of 6.8% — blowing away salad competitor Sweetgreen’s traffic decrease of 11.2% in the first quarter.

“We’re creating a bit of a bridge in a K-shaped economy and becoming very accessible for the low-income cohorts,” CFO Tricia Tolivar told Restaurant Dive. “When we look at our restaurant stratified based on median household income, we’re seeing tremendous strength in the lower-income cohorts.”

The performance of these fast-casual establishments (or slop bowl chains) has been a way to keep an eye on our increasingly unequal economy. Interestingly, as especially younger consumers seem to be pulling back, at some of these restaurants, Cava continues to perform well.

markets

AMC rallies after CEO Adam Aron purchases 250,000 shares

AMC popped in postmarket trading after a filing showed CEO, Chairman, and President Adam Aron bought 250,000 shares on Tuesday.

With this $344,350 purchase, Aron now owns more than 2.4 million shares of the theater chain he runs. He’s one of the 20 largest holders, per data compiled by Bloomberg.

markets

Nintendo climbs for third day as China ramps up its memory production

Nintendo shares are climbing on Tuesday, marking the company’s third straight session of gains — something it hasn’t done since early March. The Mario maker’s US-listed ADRs were up about 4% in Tuesday morning trading.

The return of the Switch 2 game bundle appears to have stoked investor optimism in the company’s console sales, while China’s accelerating memory production plans could alleviate some of Nintendo’s pain from the “RAMpocalypse.” For the better part of a year, memory prices have surged as AI demand hoovers up compute power. That’s squeezed video game console makers — and the broader consumer electronics industry.

Tracking the performance of Nintendo ADRs against memory giant Micron helps put this move in perspective. Nintendo is a big memory consumer, and not in the front of the line in terms of securing supply. Micron, obviously, benefits from its offerings being in high demand.

Tuesday’s price action is just a drop in the bucket, and comes as part of a recent stretch where the stock market’s high-flyers are having their wings clipped while beaten-up laggards rally.

In its first-quarter results on Monday, Chinese DRAM producer CXMT said it’s ramping up production and issued bullish guidance. The company is planning an IPO later this year, and it could be China’s biggest of the year.

For Nintendo, more global memory production could see rising costs start to deflate, improving margins in a vital year for its new console.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC and Chartr Limited produce fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and are fully owned subsidiaries of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, Robinhood Money, LLC, Robinhood U.K. Ltd, Robinhood Derivatives, LLC, Robinhood Gold, LLC, Robinhood Asset Management, LLC, Robinhood Credit, Inc., Robinhood Ventures DE, LLC and, where applicable, its managed investment vehicles.