Markets
Meeting of European commanders-in-chief of land forces
A prototype of the “Skyranger” (Robert Michael/Getty Images)
Shells hocked

Why Trump’s election win is sending shares of a German weaponry company to the moon

Here’s something students of history know is always a sign of good things to come!

Matt Phillips

Germany’s munitions industry is ramping up, sending shares of its largest weaponry manufacturer skyward as the world prepares for a second Trump administration.

Since Trump won the US presidential election Tuesday, shares of Rheinmetall AG, one Europe’s largest munitions manufacturers, have gained 16%. Traders are wagering on a boom in spending on European military and weaponry, a rational expectation in light of Trump’s combative relationship with America’s traditional military allies.

Trump has repeatedly expressed that America’s European partners in NATO, the alliance formed after World War II to counterbalance the power of what was then Soviet Russia, aren’t pulling their own weight. Throughout his first term he consistently demanded European countries boost their spending on defense, threatening to pull out of the alliance if they didn’t.

In February, as a candidate, Trump said he would “would encourage” Russia “to do whatever the hell they want” to countries that are “delinquent,” comments that seemed to turbocharge shares of European defense stocks like Rheinmetall, which has nearly doubled this year.

Since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, European defense spending has gone up sharply in a boon to European armament companies. Rheinmetall this week announced that its quarterly sales were up nearly 40% over last year and its forecast revenues would hit a new record.

“We are experiencing growth like we have never seen before in the group,” Rheinmetall Chief Executive Armin Papperger said.

More Markets

See all Markets
Business And Economy In Washington D.C.

Live Nation beats Q4 revenue estimates

The company reported earnings results on Thursday.

markets

AMD to “effectively guarantee” a loan to AI startup Crusoe that will be used to purchase its chips, The Information reports

Advanced Micro Devices will “effectively guarantee” a $300 million loan to data center company Crusoe from Goldman Sachs, according to The Information.

That is, Crusoe is taking out a loan to purchase AMD’s chips, and the chips that it’s purchasing are being used as collateral for that loan.

You’d be forgiven for thinking that this sounds an awful lot like a very common form of borrowing done by American families: borrowing money to buy a house, and having the home be collateral for the mortgage.

One big difference, of course, is that your home is expected to appreciate in value, while AI chips are expected to depreciate in value as they’re used. (The silver lining, however, is that so far these processors haven’t lost value too quickly.)

Another difference is that AMD, per the report, has agreed to rent these chips from Crusoe if it can’t find customers for this compute, which helped reduced the interest rate Crusoe will pay on this loan.

Similarly, in September, Nvidia agreed to buy any of CoreWeave’s unused cloud computing capacity through April 13, 2032, for $6.3 billion.

Rather than get overly hung up on “circular financing” elements, I’d probably frame the issue here like this: everyone wants AI chips. AMD sells AI chips. And yet, in both this deal and the most high-profile one we know about (AMD’s pact with OpenAI), the chip designer seems to be having to go the extra mile to get companies to use its AI chips. You might recall that as part of the OpenAI agreement, AMD issued warrants that enable the ChatGPT developer to receive 160 million shares, or about 10% of the company, if certain operational and stock price targets are hit over time.

Why is it so tough to get buyers on normal terms? My guess would be that this either says something negative about the financing environment for AI startups or the perception of AMD’s AI chips.

markets

Rental car companies drop amid volatile demand following an “unacceptable” Q4 from Avis

Rental car company Avis shed roughly $1 billion in market cap on Thursday as its stock fell more than 23% following the company’s Q4 results, which CEO Brian Choi called “unacceptable.”

Avis’ adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization came in at $5 million on the quarter, a massive miss compared to the $145.4 million expected by Wall Street analysts polled by FactSet.

Avis said commercial rental days fell 11% in November, as thousands of flights were canceled amid the government shutdown. That led Avis to reduce its fleet size in Q4, “the most difficult period to sell used vehicles.” The company also took a $500 million write-down on its EV fleet at year-end.

“When operational performance speaks for itself, we earn the right to focus on the bigger picture. This quarter, we didn’t earn that right. We fell significantly short of guidance. That’s unacceptable, and I have no excuses to offer,” Choi said on the company’s earnings call.

Avis said it expects lower earnings in the first quarter of 2026, as January was also impacted by weather-related flight cancellations. Rival Hertz was dragged down in the sell-off, dropping more than 14%.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.