Markets
Rider hanging on to bucking bull
Getty Images

If April was “Sell America” month, June was “Buy America” month — and it was 9x the size

Retail traders aren’t the only ones buying the dip in this bull market, as foreign investors plowed $163 billion into US equities in June, the most on record.

Much has been made of the “Sell America” trade, as President Trump’s “Liberation Day” in early April upended notions of what global trade norms should be, sending stocks and the US dollar tumbling.

But the truth is that “Sell America” — the idea that investors were redrawing the world in their heads, reacting to a seismic shift in the global order — never really happened. Or, if it did, it was A) very brief, and B) more of a currency market phenomenon than a stock market one.

Treasury International Capital data, reported by Cameron Crise at Bloomberg on Monday, reveals that foreign investors have plowed $279 billion (net) back into US equities in the last two months, with $163 billion in June alone — the highest monthly figure ever.

Net Buyers
Sherwood News

For context, in April, net flows out of US equities totaled $18.4 billion; June’s buying was 8.9x that figure.

Indeed, tariffs have become old news. Recession risks have receded, the AI boom has barely blinked, and any lingering trade issues in supply chains are being lumped into the “solvable” category of jobs to be done. That’s given the green light for global investors to run the same playbook that retail traders have been employing: buy each and every dip.

No wonder the direction of travel has been so remarkable, with the S&P 500 Index rising 29% since April 8.

Sell some of America?

Interestingly, this has been more of an equity story than anything else. Treasurys continue to reflect more of a US inflation and policy uncertainty premium, with 30-year yields at 4.91%, and there have been negligible flows into US government bonds in recent months, with fiscal concerns still fresh in many minds.

Of course, the US Dollar Spot Index itself remains down roughly 10% for the year. So from the perspective of foreign buyers, the S&P 500 is roughly flat year to date.

In all, the “Sell America” story looks to have been more a case of large foreign institutions electing to hedge the ample US dollar exposure they already have rather than dump those American assets.

A recent Morgan Stanley analysis suggest that Danish pension funds and insurers, the only cohort with detailed data available post-April, shows that hedge ratios (or the share of US dollar assets that are insulated from currency fluctuations) rose since the start of the year, but “remained flat between May and June.”

As long as the US equity market contains the AI-exposed tech giants, and as long those AI names continue to power both the economy and corporate earnings, it’s hard to see the world really embracing the “Sell America” idea in US stocks en masse.

Of course, people will always look for reasons to sell — and there is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. For now, concerns about stretched valuations seem to garner the most agreement (typically just before the market hits a new, more expensive high).

More Markets

See all Markets
markets

Lucid cuts 12% of its US workforce in a profitability push

EV maker Lucid announced on Friday it is laying off 12% of its US workforce as part of its efforts to improve profitability.

This is Lucid’s third round of layoffs since March 2023. At the end of 2024, the company said it had 6,800 employees globally.

“This difficult but necessary decision was made to improve operational effectiveness and optimize our resources as we continue on our path toward profitability,” interim CEO Marc Winterhoff told employees in an email published by Business Insider. The company has been without a permanent CEO since February 2025.

Lucid has worked to boost its cash reserves in recent months. Late last year it announced plans to raise $875 million through a private offering of convertible senior notes due in 2031.

“This difficult but necessary decision was made to improve operational effectiveness and optimize our resources as we continue on our path toward profitability,” interim CEO Marc Winterhoff told employees in an email published by Business Insider. The company has been without a permanent CEO since February 2025.

Lucid has worked to boost its cash reserves in recent months. Late last year it announced plans to raise $875 million through a private offering of convertible senior notes due in 2031.

markets

The Supreme Court’s tariff ruling isn’t sweeping relief for automakers, but it isn’t nothing either

The Supreme Court on Friday struck down a significant chunk of President Trump’s tariffs, but the decision isn’t a cause for automakers to fully exhale.

Friday’s ruling relates to tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and not Section 232. The 25% tariffs on automobiles and auto parts were imposed under Section 232, so those tariffs remain in place.

Still, it’s worth noting that automakers including Ford, GM, and Stellantis aren’t completely on the outside looking in. IEEPA tariffs did cover certain machinery, lower-cost raw materials, and components, which account for a small chunk of automaker production costs.

According to the Center for Automotive Research, IEEPA tariffs account for about $250 per vehicle for the big three Detroit automakers, or $902 million in costs. That’s a far cry from the Section 232 tariff impact of $4,240 per vehicle, per the think tank, but it’s not nothing.

The modest bump in auto stocks compared to retailers on Friday reflects the light relief.

Still, it’s worth noting that automakers including Ford, GM, and Stellantis aren’t completely on the outside looking in. IEEPA tariffs did cover certain machinery, lower-cost raw materials, and components, which account for a small chunk of automaker production costs.

According to the Center for Automotive Research, IEEPA tariffs account for about $250 per vehicle for the big three Detroit automakers, or $902 million in costs. That’s a far cry from the Section 232 tariff impact of $4,240 per vehicle, per the think tank, but it’s not nothing.

The modest bump in auto stocks compared to retailers on Friday reflects the light relief.

markets
Luke Kawa

Nvidia nears $30 billion investment in OpenAI’s funding round, the FT reports

Nvidia is close to investing $30 billion in OpenAI as part of its long-discussed funding round, per the Financial Times.

Bloomberg had previously reported that Nvidia would be investing $20 billion in this round.

The FT says that this investment will effectively be replacing a bigger planned pact between the two companies. The Wall Street Journal had originally reported in late January that Nvidia’s investment of up to $100 billion in OpenAI, which was announced in September, had “stalled” amid private criticisms of the ChatGPT maker by CEO Jensen Huang.

As Microsoft, SoftBank, or Oracle could tell you, being viewed as overly exposed to OpenAI has not been a boon for stocks in recent months.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.