Business
business
Rani Molla

Musk’s X lost nearly half a billion dollars in the first quarter of 2023

Elon Musk’s plans to make X to be the "biggest financial institution in the world" look a lot like Venmo, the popular mobile payments app, Bloomberg reports, citing documents submitted to state regulators.

Perhaps more interesting is that those documents illustrate why X needs another income source: It’s been burning money since Musk took over in late of 2022.

In the first quarter of 2023, the company lost $456 million. A year earlier, before Musk bought Twitter and changed its name to X, the company earned $513 million.

The documents show that X’s revenue was about $1.5 billion in the first six months of 2023, down nearly 40% from the same period a year earlier.

In the first quarter of 2023, the company lost $456 million. A year earlier, before Musk bought Twitter and changed its name to X, the company earned $513 million.

The documents show that X’s revenue was about $1.5 billion in the first six months of 2023, down nearly 40% from the same period a year earlier.

More Business

See all Business
Man's Brain Powerplant

The idiot’s guide to AI jargon

Don’t like politics at the Thanksgiving table? Here’s some performative AI jargon for you to weaponize so you can win the day.

business

Ford dips as another large fire breaks out at the New York Novelis aluminum plant

Shares of US auto giant Ford are down more than 2% on Thursday morning following reports of another major fire at its primary aluminum supplier’s plant in Oswego County, New York.

Local media reported that a four-alarm fire broke out at the Novelis plant, which supplies 40% of the aluminum sheet for the US auto industry, on Thursday morning.

Last month, Ford said a September fire at the plant would hit its earnings by between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in the fourth quarter. The company said it would be able to mitigate about $1 billion of that next year.

As of 10:15 a.m. ET, local officials said the fire is under control and everyone had been safely evacuated. Novelis previously said it would be able to restart operations at the part of the plant most damaged by the September fire next month.

Last month, Ford said a September fire at the plant would hit its earnings by between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in the fourth quarter. The company said it would be able to mitigate about $1 billion of that next year.

As of 10:15 a.m. ET, local officials said the fire is under control and everyone had been safely evacuated. Novelis previously said it would be able to restart operations at the part of the plant most damaged by the September fire next month.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.