Business
Wine, Spirits, Beer consumption

We're drinking more spirits than any other booze

Which might be why Pernod Ricard is selling its wine portfolio

Pernod Ricard, one of the biggest global wine and spirits sellers, is decanting the majority of its immense wine portfolio to Australian Wine Holdco, the French company announced Wednesday, doubling down on its growing spirits business.

The news follows years of stalling vino demand at Pernod — with wine accounting for just 4% of the brand’s ~$13B worth of sales in fiscal year 2023 — as China’s once-booming wine market dwindles and Western tastes shift towards harder stuff.

Indeed, an April report from the NIAAA found that American alcohol consumers are increasingly opting for liquor over lower ABV offerings. In 2022, the average person in the US aged 14+ years got through the equivalent of 1.06 gallons worth of pure alcohol in spirits beverages. That’s up 25% from 2017-2022, while beer and wine consumption fell by 4% and 2% over the same period, respectively.

Spinning bottles

Pernod’s deal will see the transfer of popular international wine brands like Campo Viejo and Jacob’s Creek, as well as several associated vineyards, at a time when wine consumption is drying up. Australia, the world’s fifth largest wine exporter, is feeling the effects: in March, millions of the country’s vines were deliberately destroyed in a bid to temper overproduction, which has seen the price of grapes more than half since 2020 in regions around the country.

Fortunately for Pernod, though, the drinks giant still has a winning cocktail of liquor brands under its belt, including Absolut vodka, Jameson whiskey, and Havana Club rum — with those 3 labels alone selling nearly 28 million 9-liter cases between them last year.

More Business

See all Business
Man's Brain Powerplant

The idiot’s guide to AI jargon

Don’t like politics at the Thanksgiving table? Here’s some performative AI jargon for you to weaponize so you can win the day.

business

Ford dips as another large fire breaks out at the New York Novelis aluminum plant

Shares of US auto giant Ford are down more than 2% on Thursday morning following reports of another major fire at its primary aluminum supplier’s plant in Oswego County, New York.

Local media reported that a four-alarm fire broke out at the Novelis plant, which supplies 40% of the aluminum sheet for the US auto industry, on Thursday morning.

Last month, Ford said a September fire at the plant would hit its earnings by between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in the fourth quarter. The company said it would be able to mitigate about $1 billion of that next year.

As of 10:15 a.m. ET, local officials said the fire is under control and everyone had been safely evacuated. Novelis previously said it would be able to restart operations at the part of the plant most damaged by the September fire next month.

Last month, Ford said a September fire at the plant would hit its earnings by between $1.5 billion and $2 billion in the fourth quarter. The company said it would be able to mitigate about $1 billion of that next year.

As of 10:15 a.m. ET, local officials said the fire is under control and everyone had been safely evacuated. Novelis previously said it would be able to restart operations at the part of the plant most damaged by the September fire next month.

Latest Stories

Sherwood Media, LLC produces fresh and unique perspectives on topical financial news and is a fully owned subsidiary of Robinhood Markets, Inc., and any views expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of any other Robinhood affiliate, including Robinhood Markets, Inc., Robinhood Financial LLC, Robinhood Securities, LLC, Robinhood Crypto, LLC, or Robinhood Money, LLC.