Business
Business
business

Sony is reportedly considering pushing the PlayStation 6 to 2028 or 2029 as AI RAM demand squeezes consumer electronics

AI’s ongoing need for more memory chips, which some are referring to as “RAMmageddon,” is reportedly shifting Sony’s plans for its next PlayStation console.

According to reporting by Bloomberg, the company is weighing a delay of the PS6 to 2028 or 2029 — a pivot from the company’s typical six- to seven-year console life cycle.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Memory costs could also result in Nintendo hiking the price of the Switch 2, per the report.

The report is part of a larger trend of AI demand impacting consumer electronics, including gaming equipment. Earlier this month, reports said that Nvidia will not release a new gaming graphics chip this year — a first. Steam owner Valve delayed its forthcoming Steam Machine console, and its popular Steam Deck handheld is currently unavailable for purchase in the US. Per Valve’s website: “Steam Deck OLED may be out-of-stock intermittently in some regions due to memory and storage shortages.”

Amid the AI memory squeeze, gaming stocks have also experienced major recent sell-offs following the release of Google’s AI interactive world-generation tool, Project Genie.

Robot illustration

Video game experts say Google’s Project Genie isn’t an industry killer. Investors don’t seem convinced.

Analysts and company execs are trying to dispel fears around AI’s impact on gaming, but Wall Street is still wary.

LA Auto Show

Rivian just had its best day ever on the stock market, after more than 4 years of pain

The EV maker’s software division helped power a strong Q4, as industry giants pump the brakes on their electric ambitions.

business
Tom Jones

Warner Bros. board members reportedly consider reopening deal talks with Paramount

Paramount’s latest amended bid for Warner Bros. Discovery has finally given the board members of the entertainment conglomerate something to seriously think about, after Bloomberg reported over the weekend that WBD is now considering reopening negotiations with Paramount, despite striking an ~$83 billion binding deal with Netflix in early December.

With the market closed yesterday, Paramount and Warner Bros. Discovery investors are just now getting the chance to react to the news, with the stocks up around 3% and 1%, respectively, in premarket trading.

Last Tuesday, Paramount announced that it had enhanced its all-cash $30-per-share bid for Warner Bros., adding an offer to cover the $2.8 billion breakup fee the company would incur with Netflix, as well as a $0.25-per-share “ticking fee” for every quarter the deal hasn’t closed after the end of 2026. Despite Paramount (again) not boosting the bid’s headline cash offer, these latest terms, as well as an offer to backstop a Warner Bros. debt refinancing, have apparently proven enough to give at least some board members pause for thought.

Indeed, top brass at the HBO owner are mulling the possibility that Paramount’s boosted offer could lead to a better deal down the line, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the board’s latest thinking. Still, whether that means the WBD board is hoping for a better bid from Paramount themselves — or the streamer they’ve currently got a binding deal with — is another matter entirely.

Strive Pharmacy recently broke ground on a new facility in Mesa, Arizona. (Strive Pharmacy)

Before Hims’ GLP-1 pill fallout, its pharmacy partner was already drawing scrutiny from state regulators

Strive has already been probed over the timing of its GLP-1 compounding. Now, Arizona regulators are looking into complaints about ketamine misuse and improper distribution of prescription drugs.

business

Hims to stop offering copy of Wegovy pill following FDA scrutiny

Hims & Hers said it has decided to stop offering its newly launched copycat version of Novo Nordisk’s Wegovy pill, after the telehealth company drew criticism from the Food and Drug Administration. 

“Since launching the compounded semaglutide pill on our platform, we’ve had constructive conversations with stakeholders across the industry. As a result, we have decided to stop offering access to this treatment,” Hims wrote on X.

Shares of Hims are down double digits in premarket trading on Monday, while Novo Nordisk ADRs are up more than 6% as of 5:20 a.m. ET.

On Friday afternoon, the FDA said it would take “decisive steps” to restrict GLP-1 compounding. Department of Health and Human Services General Counsel Mike Stuart said on social media Friday he had referred Hims to the Department of Justice “for investigation for potential violations by Hims of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and applicable Title 18 provisions.”

Hims launched the product last week, a seeming copy of a recently released and patented drug, which immediately drew fire from Novo Nordisk and regulators.

Shares of Hims are down double digits in premarket trading on Monday, while Novo Nordisk ADRs are up more than 6% as of 5:20 a.m. ET.

On Friday afternoon, the FDA said it would take “decisive steps” to restrict GLP-1 compounding. Department of Health and Human Services General Counsel Mike Stuart said on social media Friday he had referred Hims to the Department of Justice “for investigation for potential violations by Hims of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and applicable Title 18 provisions.”

Hims launched the product last week, a seeming copy of a recently released and patented drug, which immediately drew fire from Novo Nordisk and regulators.

Hims oral semaglutide

Hims, long flying under regulators’ radar, finally strikes a nerve with its Wegovy pill copy

It’s unclear if the pill Hims is selling works or if the FDA will allow it.

$1.3M

There’s still plenty of money to be made in brainrot. The top 1,000 Roblox creators earned an average of $1.3 million in 2025 — up 50% from the year prior — according to CEO Dave Baszucki on the company’s fourth-quarter earnings call.

Roblox paid out $1.5 billion to creators last year, meaning its top 1,000 creators took home about 87% of the total pool.

Like other creator economy giants, Roblox rewards its biggest creators for their contributions to user engagement. Creator-made titles like “Grow a Garden” and “Steal a Brainrot” substantially boosted playing time over the course of the year. In September, the company increased its developer exchange rate, or the ratio of in-game currency to cash payout, by 8.5%.

Texas Governor Abbott And Google Make Economic Development Announcement In Midlothian

Alphabet could buy some pretty huge businesses with the amount of money it plans to spend this year

AI outlays have gone full nut-nut. Even Google, one of the most capital-efficient businesses of all time in its heyday, is spending like there’s no tomorrow.

Tom Jones2/6/26
2025 WWD Beauty CEO Summit - Day 2

CFO Mandy Fields sees e.l.f. Beauty in growth mode, as company beats on sales and earnings

The new owner of rhode beat estimates for its fiscal third quarter and boosted its guidance for the full year, even as headwinds in the UK and Germany continued.

business

Roblox answers Google’s Project Genie, launching the open beta for its “4D” AI creation tool

Roblox on Wednesday launched the open beta of its “4D” AI creation model, less than a week after the launch of Google’s Project Genie, an AI-powered interactive world generator.

The tool allows users to generate interactive objects that can be used in gameplay, such as a drivable car or a flyable plane, as opposed to static 3D objects.

Roblox’s “4D” system relies on rule sets called schemas that create objects out of multiple parts, allowing cars to have a body and movable wheels, for example.

“We expect to soon include schemas that cover the range of thousands of objects in the real world,” the company said.

The move to bring the tool out of early access and into open beta appears to be a response to Google’s Project Genie, which allows users to generate “playable” worlds out of a text or image prompt. Gaming stocks like Roblox, Take-Two, and Unity Software have dropped in the days since Project Genie’s release, though Wall Street analysts largely believe the market reaction to be unjustified, as interactivity through Googles tool is limited.

Roblox’s “4D” system relies on rule sets called schemas that create objects out of multiple parts, allowing cars to have a body and movable wheels, for example.

“We expect to soon include schemas that cover the range of thousands of objects in the real world,” the company said.

The move to bring the tool out of early access and into open beta appears to be a response to Google’s Project Genie, which allows users to generate “playable” worlds out of a text or image prompt. Gaming stocks like Roblox, Take-Two, and Unity Software have dropped in the days since Project Genie’s release, though Wall Street analysts largely believe the market reaction to be unjustified, as interactivity through Googles tool is limited.

Galleri by GRAIL

Hims adds cancer detection test to Labs product

Its lab analysis product will be a central part of the company’s upcoming Super Bowl ad.

Walmart store entrance

Walmart joins the trillion-dollar club, becoming only the third non-tech American firm to do so

Shares have surged on rapid e-commerce growth, digital advertising, and new AI partnerships. Maybe Walmart isn’t that “offline” after all.

Senate Hearing Examines Competitive Impact Of Proposed Netflix-Warner Brothers Transaction

Netflix’s Sarandos: Big Tech is trying to “run away with the television business”

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos addressed regulatory and industry fears around its merger plans.